Kia ora koutou whānau,

A message from the Principal

As the leader of your school, I believe it’s important to lift each other up through kotahitanga – a sense of unity – together. We identify as one – sharing the earth, extending our āwhina (support) to everyone, and receiving the same back. Kotahitanga refers to the need to view the different aspects of children’s learning and development (cognitive, social, emotional, physical, cultural and spiritual) as an integrated and interconnected whole. Therefore, through our values of kindness, respect and resilience, we embrace who we are, our story, our diversity and our strengths to be the best versions of ourselves. We look forward to connecting with our students’ passions, interests, and cultural beliefs by establishing learner profiles and working together through reciprocal partnerships to help our ākonga strive for excellence every day. Continuing to build relationships with our community and acknowledging our school as the heart of our hapori, will only enhance our Mahi together – in unity. This is our kura, our hapori, we all belong and aspire to achieve greatness.

He Kaiwhakarite – Manager
E kore te matau e rawe ki te moana takai ai, engari anō a uta

As the manager of your school, my role is to be an effective manager of people, the environment and the education that transforms teaching and learning communities. Therefore, as we work together, as one school, one community – through the essence of whanaungatanga kotahitanga, we embrace our strengths and identify opportunities to reflect, gather perspective, learn and improve for the benefit of our tamariki.

School Notices

Welcome to our new students and their families who joined us this week.

Kaleb Stuart-Aonga

Welcome certificates were given out in our Pink Shirt Day assembly, to the new students who joined us last week

Upcoming Events

Remember to celebrate and discuss with your child this week their learning experiences. To include:

Monday 30 May – Friday 3 June Samoan Language Week
Tuesday 31 May – Year 1 Ko Te Wai programme
Wednesday 25 May – Board of Trustees Meeting 7:30 pm
Thursday 26 May Vision and Hearing Testing and Garden to Table for year 6
Monday 30 May School Cross Country
Wednesday 1 June – Year 3 at MOTAT

Morning Drop-off and Afternoon Collection

Many thanks to those parents who safely drop off their children outside the school.  Remember that if you are bringing or collecting your child via Agathis Avenue, please do not stop in the turning circle (the top of Agathis Avenue, where there are dotted yellow lines).  We have put cones out and we will be monitoring the area daily to ensure cars do not stop in this area. This is a necessary measure to ensure the safety of all our children.

COVID Update

Currently, we have 10 cases across all year groups. If your child is experiencing symptoms of COVID, please inform the school by clicking on the following link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X2ryFuHWvgjb0egfxFbQaNe8dProwAGF/view

Ministry guidelines highly encourage mask-wearing. This is not mandatory and therefore, some parents may wish for their child to be exempted. If mask-wearing is a concern for you, please inform your child’s teacher by email. Students not wearing masks will be sat in a well-ventilated area. Face masks are one of the key health measures to help slow the spread of COVID and other winter illnesses in indoor settings.

Please encourage your child to continue with our hygiene requirements of hand-sanitising regularly to help slow the spread of infection.

Week 4 Reflection and Summary

Celebrating our Values Award winners at our Pink Shirt Day Assembly last Friday.

Take a look at the fabulous artwork the children have been doing in some of our classrooms!

Young Ocean Explorers

Riley Hathaway from The Young Ocean explorers came to visit the Year 4-6 teams last week.

We shared an enjoyable afternoon learning many interesting facts about the flora and fauna of NZ’s oceans, with Riley sharing her valuable insights into conserving this amazing habitat.

Library fun!
The library has been a hive of activity at lunchtimes on Mondays and Fridays. Lots of strategic game playing, reading on the new comfy library couches and the colouring-in competition still draws a lot of popularity.

Last week Mrs Hopkins had fun showcasing how books can be interactive with their audience, from using QR codes to activate audio books through to working together as a class to solve brain teasers.

What amazing, rich learning opportunities our students have at our school. Tino pai!

Our PTA – Update

We are really excited to announce the PTA is re-established and ready to support our community with your support. As a PTA, the intent is to inspire, influence and support the direction of the school to learn together to create a better tomorrow. They acknowledge the school values of kindness, respect and resilience in line with loyalty and trust. Together they will apply a strength-based approach, utilising the strengths of our community, to organise fun and inclusive fundraising and social events for our students and school community. They recognise our challenges ahead and will collaborate and support, us to work in partnership with guardians, students and teachers through whanaungatanga kotahitanga.

The school-community forthcoming events this term are as follows:

Year 0-4 Disco – Friday 17 June
Year 5-6 Movie night – Friday 1 July

In the coming weeks, your class teacher will be emailing our parents to establish parent class reps. Please look out for this email on Hero and sign up if you are keen to contribute to our mahi.

Getting to know our staff

I myself was a student at Mairangi Bay School. I loved my time here and was inspired by my teachers that I too became a teacher. I have taught at a few schools on the North Shore and in London. For two years, I had a fabulous time living in London meeting new friends and travelling around the UK and Europe. Teaching over there in a private school was very different and I learned a lot. Mairangi Bay is my home and I’m grateful to be able to give back to my community. On the weekends I’m either on a boat, exploring in our campervan or going for walks with my family and friends.  Rebekah Jones – Classroom Teacher, Year 2

I have been at MBS for 11 years as the music specialist. I am trained in Orff and Kodaly approaches to Music Education. My favourite day at school is Thursday, when I get to teach marimba groups, ukulele club and senior choir. When I am not at school, I am teaching from home on the piano and enjoy teaching my adult ukulele group, UkuBays. I also perform in a ukulele group called North of Bombay and compose music for this group and for children. I started Primary Notes as a fun band for the staff at MBS to share music together.  Clare McCormack, Music Teacher

SKIDS Update

Meet the sKids Mairangi Bay team- Part 1

Hola parents, caregivers, and children

My name is Daniel, I am the Programme Manager here at sKids Mairangi Bay, and have been since Term 2, 2021. At sKids, you will find me getting amongst anything and everything that our awesome bunch of kids want to do whilst they are under my care and supervision. Whether it be rainbow ball, ping pong, basketball, soccer, ball tag on the playground, arts & crafts, or simply having a conversation, you name it, I am there and I am having just as much fun as the kids. Outside of sKids, you will find me investing in NZX stocks, collecting and investing in NBA cards, caring for my pet turtle Shelley, playing on my XBOX and computer, playing social netball, hanging with family and friends, and working on side projects to make children’s time at sKids better!

I look forward to seeing your kids at sKids!

Cultural Events

To help build community relationships and embrace diversity, remember to check the calendar of community events to connect and enjoy with friends and whānau across our beautiful city. I would love to hear your story and how we can support you and your whānau to connect with our school. Alternatively, please make an appointment with the school office.

Thank you for modelling our school values of kindness, respect and resilience. Please remember – Anei au, tō pou whirinaki – I am here, I can support you
Our Place, Our Home, Our Community

PTA News

Uniform Shop – If you need any items from our second-hand uniform store, please email mbspta@gmail.com with your requirements and if the items are available, the office will send them to your child’s classroom. There will be a note with the cost, and payment can be made directly to the PTA account, 12-3042-0025103-00 with your child’s name and uniform as the reference. If you wish to return the items, please ask your child to return them to the school office the following day.

Yummy Stickers – Please keep collecting Yummy Stickers so we can get more sporting equipment for the school.

If you have any feedback or suggestions please email us at mbspta@gmail.com, we would love to hear from you.
Please join our Facebook Page for all up-to-date notices https://www.facebook.com/groups/222059558272130

For all PTA related enquiries please email mbspta@gmail.com

Community Notices

Notices are put in this section as a service to our community.  The school does not necessarily endorse these community advertisements and you are advised to check for yourself, the reliability of providers, events, camps, and courses.

Lunchtime Guitar Lessons at Mairangi Bay School 2022.

If your child is interested in group guitar lessons we hold beginner and experienced lessons at our school.
(Please note these lessons are in school time and only available to Mairangi Bay School students)

Contact Heath Watson 021 256 1308/ heathwatsonguitar@gmail.com for questions or for more info and sign-up details.  https://www.heathwatsonguitar.com/mairangi-bay-school.html

Shrek the Musical

Kiri Te Kanawa Theatre, Aotea Centre. July 12 -16.

Harbour Hospice Needs Your Help!

Mums, dads, grandparents, carers, aunties, uncles… your local Hospice shops have been hit hard by Covid-19 and we really need your help. Come and volunteer with us! Just one three-hour shift per week will make such a difference to us. Flexible weekly shifts are available to fit in around your lifestyle, and our volunteers have so much fun and really enjoy the company of the other volunteers and shoppers. Come on your own or bring a friend and help Hospice care for your community. Call into your local shop and talk to the manager or contact your local Hospice.