Happy New Zealand Sign Language Week – Check out this link!

A message from the Principal

Kia ora koutou whānau,

Over the past few days, it has been great to connect with our tamariki, kaiako and whānau, sharing the magic across our school and community through our school values of kindness, respect and resilience. We have listened to why Mairangi Bay school is unique and what our tamariki would like from their new principal. Is there anything they would like to change to cultivate our learning culture? Once we have analysed our student voice ideas as a leadership team, we will start to prioritise our next steps. Exciting times ahead. It has also been great to see students engaged, motivated and excited about learning through respectful partnerships and collaboration this term. Sports training has started before school, swimming lessons are scheduled, and friendly whānau faces are back on site once again. It is great to see Mairangi Bay School re-establish itself as the heart of our community.

New Beginnings

It was fantastic to see everyone proud at last Friday’s mihi whakatau. Thank you for welcoming my whānau – Claire, Maisie and Fin, and my leadership colleagues from CBS. Our school feels warm and magical – a place we feel that we truly belong. As we work together, staff, students and whānau, we intend to cultivate our learning community, build and maintain relationships through manaakitanga and whanaungatanga – care and home-school partnerships, to improve student outcomes and well-being for all. Therefore, if you see me at the school gate, please come over and connect. I would love to hear your story and how we can support you and your whānau. Alternatively, please make an appointment with the school office.

Farewell Mr Warren

We also said farewell to Mr Warren after the whakatau and Board member, Nick Grant, presented him with a pounamu to mark the 20 years of service he has given to our school.

COVID Update

Currently, we have 10 COVID cases in years 1, 3, 4 & 5. If your child is experiencing symptoms of COVID please, inform the school by clicking on the following link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X2ryFuHWvgjb0egfxFbQaNe8dProwAGF/view

Ministry guidelines highly encourage mask-wearing. This is not mandatory and therefore, some parents may wish for their child to be exempted. If mask-wearing is a concern for you, please inform your child’s teacher by email. Students not wearing masks will be sat in a well-ventilated area. Face masks are one of the key health measures to help slow the spread of COVID and other winter illnesses in indoor settings.

Please encourage your child to continue with our hygiene requirements of hand-sanitising regularly to help slow the spread of infection.

School Events

Remember to celebrate and discuss with your child this week their learning experiences. To include:

Monday 9 – Friday 13 May, NZ Sign Language Week – Check out the link

Wednesday 11 May, Years 3 & 4 Swimming at AUT Millennium

Friday 13 May, Years 3 & 4 Swimming at AUT Millennium

Tuesday 17 May, PTA meeting  7:30 pm in the staff room, all are welcome

Wednesday 18 May, Years 3 & 4 Swimming at AUT Millennium

Cultural Events

To help build community relationships and embrace diversity, remember to check the calendar of community events to connect and enjoy with friends and whānau across our beautiful city. I would love to hear your story and how we can support you and your whānau to connect with our school. Alternatively, please make an appointment with the school office.

Thank you for modeling our school values of kindness, respect and resilience. Please remember – Anei au, tō pou whirinaki – I am here, I can support you

Our place, our home, our community

Nga mihi arohanui

He nui atu tatou i te kura – We are more than just a school.

Welcome to our new students and their families

Kjell-Lebron Hirovanaa-Nicholls and Armani-Leigh Hirovanaa-Nicholls, and returning student, Leo Kim.

We are excited to welcome you and your children into our school community. Please reach out if you have any questions, we are always here to support you in moving to Mairangi Bay School.
I am honoured to be working alongside the staff and tamariki at Mairangi Bay School. Together we will uncover new opportunities and craft our next chapter. I hope you enjoy the term. Remember to stay connected, check the school calendar for upcoming events, and be ready to make a difference once again alongside our kura and community.

If you have any concerns, please reach out to your child’s teacher or email me on nathanj@mairangibay.school.nz

Nathan Janes
Tumuaki/ Principal

School Notices

Garden to Table is back for years 5 & 6!

The programme for our Year 6’s starts next week. Keep an eye out for a Hero post with all the details.

Road Patrol

A big thank you to our Year 6 Road Patrollers (and parents) for keeping us safe while crossing Matipo Road. Also, a gentle reminder to everyone to please use the crossing. It is important to teach your children to walk to the crossing (even though it may be 20 metres out of your way to do so). This ensures they know how to do it themselves when they no longer cross the road with you, their parents. Let’s keep everyone safe out there!
Kia ora,
The Senior Leadership Team

ANZAC Day

Last week Room 3 was learning about ANZAC day and why it’s important to New Zealanders. They created ANZAC biscuits as well as a fabulous collaborative piece of art depicting a soldier in a poppy field. Well done Room 3!

Science in a Van

On Tuesday Years 3, 4, 5 and 6 had a visit from ‘Science in a Van’ scientists, Emily and Alan. The students learnt about the changing states of matter and took part in some experiments exploring this.  What a fun learning experience!

Music News

May is NZ Music Month
There is lots of music happening at MBS.
Thursday Marimba Groups have made a great start to the term.
This year our theme is the Cultivated Garden Rongo Ma Tane
Clare McCormack
Music Teacher

PTA News

PTA meeting scheduled 17 May 7:30 pm in the staff room, all are welcome

Uniform Shop – If you need any items from our second-hand uniform store, please email mbspta@gmail.com with your requirements and if the items are available, the office will send them to your child’s classroom. There will be a note with the cost, and payment can be made directly to the PTA account, 12-3042-0025103-00 with your child’s name and uniform as the reference. If you wish to return the items, please ask your child to return them to the school office the following day.

Yummy Stickers – Please keep collecting Yummy Stickers so we can get more sporting equipment for the school.

If you have any feedback or suggestions please email us at mbspta@gmail.com, we would love to hear from you.
Please join our Facebook Page for all up-to-date notices https://www.facebook.com/groups/222059558272130

For all PTA related enquiries please email mbspta@gmail.com

Getting to know our staff

I moved to NZ from the UK 18 years ago with my husband and 3 young boys. We fell in love with Mairangi Bay and quickly found a house adjacent to the school. My boys all attended Mairangi Bay School, MBIS and Rangitoto College. They are all now grown up, but luckily for me they all still live locally. I have been involved with MBS for 16 years as a parent, teacher aide, PTA and most recently in the school office. I spend most of my weekends at East Coast Bays Rugby Club supporting The Mighty Bays where my boys play in the Prem 2 and U85kg teams. Other than that I love catching up with my friends and kiwi whānau.

Julia Whitfield, Student Services

I grew up in Greater London, and met my husband in 2001.  After a transient military life and 2 years living in The Falkland Islands with a newborn and lots of penguins, I wanted to bring my son up somewhere similar to The Falkland Islands, but with a few more people than the population there, of 2000 people and 500,000 sheep! I moved to New Zealand with my family in 2011 and planned to live around Christchurch. As we were sending off our container on the ship from England, the big 2011 earthquake happened. We arrived in May and spent 6 weeks touring around until we found this little village called Mairangi Bay. I enrolled my son at Mairangi Bay School and quickly became part of the MBS whānau by helping in the classrooms and getting to know students, staff and parents. I was a qualified teacher aide in England, so when a vacancy became available here in 2012, I was keen to apply. I ran the PMP programme and worked alongside several RTLB’s helping with targeted needs in children. More recently, I moved into the admin role in the office. After 7 years of living on the shore, I decided to move a bit further away and I now live on a farm in Wainui with my husband, Nick, my son, Max, my dog, Jessie, 8 goats, 2 miniature ponies and 12 chickens. When I am not at school, I spend most of my time in gumboots!

Anita Nicholls, Enrolments Officer

Community Notices

Notices are put in this section as a service to our community.  The school does not necessarily endorse these community advertisements and you are advised to check for yourself, the reliability of providers, events, camps, and courses.

Lunchtime Guitar Lessons at Mairangi Bay School 2022.

If your child is interested in group guitar lessons we hold beginner and experienced lessons at our school.
(Please note these lessons are in school time and only available to Mairangi Bay School students)

Contact Heath Watson 021 256 1308/ heathwatsonguitar@gmail.com for questions or for more info and sign-up details.  https://www.heathwatsonguitar.com/mairangi-bay-school.html

Online Help and Well-being Courses