Monday 7 December
Years 5-6 Fun Athletics Day
Tuesday 8 December
New Parents information meeting 9 am in our staffroom
Wednesday 9 December
Awards Assembly – 1:30 pm in our school hall
Board of Trustees meeting 7:30 pm in our staffroom
Thursday 10 December
Parent helper morning tea 10:30 am in our school hall
Friday 11 December
Last day for Ezlunch orders – Please ensure your child brings lunch from Monday 14 December
Junior Showcase 11 am in our school hall, followed by a shared lunch
School Assembly 1:30 pm in our school hall – All welcome
Monday 14 December
Years 0-2 Beach Day
Year 6 Leavers Ceremony (Years 5-6 only) 6 pm in our school hall Please note date change
Wednesday 16 December
Last day of term 4 – School closes at 12:30 pm
Thursday 4 February 2021
Meet the teacher appointments for you and your child with next year’s teacher.
Tuesday 9 February 2021
First day of school. 8.30am school grounds open.
At a glance
- Parent helpers morning tea invitation
- School events and starting date for 2021
- Te Reo and Tikanga Maori in 2021Please return library books and Congratulations to our talented students
- Music News – Congratulations, Thank you and The Marimba Group performance at the leaving ceremony
- Community Notices
Kia ora tatou
It was wonderful to see so many smiling faces on Friday. We had hundreds of special visitors on Grandparents and Friends Day. Our kids were proud to perform, entertain, and host these special people in their lives. Thank you to everyone who baked and a special thanks to the PTA team who served the morning tea and did the clean up.
We are hoping to see you on Thursday 10 December at 10.30 am, if you have helped our school this year. This morning tea is a way we can say thank you! Do join us if you can.
This has been a year like no other. We have all responded quickly to unexpected challenges as our team of five million has tackled the Covid-19 threat. I am grateful to live in this country with a government that acted quickly and communicated well. I am grateful to work with a dedicated and caring team that has prioritized wellbeing, knowing that the pandemic has increased anxiety in our community. I am grateful to our team for adapting quickly, for moving their practice to a digital platform, and for reaching out to all their students. It is the quality of the adult relationships that is the bedrock on which we build our success. We are so fortunate here. It is an exceptionally challenging job to be an effective teacher and even more so this year. I am grateful, each and every day, for the attitude chosen by our teachers and support staff.
Despite the disruptions, it has been a successful year. We have made progress developing the Mairangi Bay Way: an integrated positive behaviour for learning approach which will significantly support student success. We have also worked to develop a new digital platform for curriculum planning and assessment and reporting to parents. A classroom block has been upgraded, outdoor seating added and, come January, a large shade canopy will provide new opportunities for outside learning and play.
This year we reviewed our school values and the pandemic has helped clarify what is really important. We have gained traction quickly because our students understand these values. We see children showing kindness, respect and resilience. We are excited next year to partner with the Tania Dalton Foundation to implement a new curriculum: the resilience project. We will be growing GEM; gratitude, empathy and mindfulness. This initiative is timely.
Kia hikaka. Our mission calls us to be motivated. And we are! To the parents who prepare our children so well for learning, to the parents who help out in classrooms, in gardens, at camp and on road patrol etc; to the Board and PTA who support in so many ways; to the teachers who nurture and challenge and provide learning environments that cause learning; to our support staff, teacher aides, caretaker, admin team and deputy principals who do so much; and of course, to our wonderful children who demonstrate that zest for life and learning. Thank you. It has been a year with unexpected challenges and we have built resilience.
I acknowledge the dedication and service of Jeanette Smail who has retired after many years of service as Deputy Principal.
Next year I am seconded to the principals’ leadership advisors team working to support principals in the Auckland region. Peter Stoner will be acting principal, Claire Worthington-Blair deputy principal and Michelle Webster (acting deputy principal.) I know that our school is in good hands.
I wish you all a wonderful Christmas and a relaxing holiday.
Bruce Warren, Principal
Kia hikaka, kia maia, kia pono te ngakau.
School Events and Important Information
As we head towards the end of the school year there are a number of events coming up to note:
- Monday 7 December 9-12.30 Year 5-6 Fun Athletics .. . parents welcome
- Tuesday 8 December 9 am Meeting for Parents of children new to our school starting next year Staffroom
- Wednesday 9 December 1.35 pm Year5-6 Awards Assembly.. Presentation of School Values Cups and Seren Morris Cup. All welcome.
- Thursday 10 December 10.30 am Parent helper morning tea Our hall. Everyone who has helped us this year please join us! Your invitation. ( 1 min video)
- Friday 11 December 11.15-12.15 Junior Christmas Showcase (Year 1-2 classes). Our hall. Shared lunch for juniors in their classrooms afterwards. All welcome
- Friday 11 December 1.35 School Assembly: Presentation of Sports awards (teams that compete after school) Our hall All welcome.
- Monday 14 December End of Year reports and class placement 2021 letter emailed to parents. Junior Tracking Book (to be returned Tuesday)
- Monday 14 December 9-3 Juniors Beach Day (Year 0-2)
- Monday 14 December 6 – 7 pm Year 6 Leaving Ceremony for all Year 5 and Year 6 students. Our hall. All welcome.
- Monday 14 December 7-9 pm Year 6 Celebration Fun activities for all Year 6 students and their parents
- Monday 14 December End of Year reports online and class placement 2021 letter sent home.
- Wednesday 16 December. 11 am Brief assembly: Farewell to Adan Groen and Donata Gray. All welcome.
- Wednesday 16 December. 12.30 School closes for the summer holidays. Children home for lunch.
Te Reo and Tikanga Maori in 2021 A quick heads up on our commitment for 2021. Te Reo and Tikanga Maori in 2021 ( 1 min video)
Reminder to return all School Library Books: Thank you to all the children who have brought their school library books back. Mrs Hopkins will be carrying out her stocktake next week and would appreciate any books that are still at home to come back to school as soon as possible. Any children with outstanding books on Thursday 10th Dec will be sent home with a replacement cost letter. Thank you.
Congratulations to Rosie Gladding – Rosie has been rehearsing every week since February with an aim to perform in July, however, Covid and various lockdowns has meant our production was postponed to December. She has put in so much hard work and we would love for her to have support from her peers and teachers. There are over 50 Auckland schools being represented in our production which features 105 children and young adults. We will have 4 performances from the 18th-20th of December. For tickets, please click here
Mairangi Bay Netball
For all PTA related enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notices are put in this section as a service to our community. The school does not necessarily endorse these community advertisements and you are advised to check for yourself, the reliability of providers, events, camps, and courses.
SKIDS Holiday Programme – December 2020 and January 2021 Holiday Programme Bookings are now OPEN at sKids, Mairangi Bay. Please visit www.sKids.co.nz/Mairangi_Bay to enrol or make a booking or call us on 0273578260 or email email@example.com
Tots to Teens Magazine – To read, please click here
North Shore Youth Music is a community organisation which runs a variety of orchestras and choirs for young people. Applications are now being accepted for 2021, and auditions will be held on Wednesday 16th December. See www.nsym.org.nz for an application form.
Stringalongs (5 – 8yrs), Junior Orchestra (9 – 13yrs), Youth Orchestra (14+yrs)
Songsters (5 – 8yrs), Children’s Choir (9 – 13yrs), Con Brio Choir (10 – 16yrs), Resound (14+yrs)