Thursday 29 October
Year 5-6 Book Battle
Friday 30 October
Mufti Day for hospital workers – Gold coin donation
Whole School Assembly – In our school hall. All welcome!
Year 5-6 Movie Night
Monday 2 – Friday 6 November
ICAS Testing Week
Monday 2 November
Year 5-6 at MBIS – Beauty and The Beast
Tuesday 3 November
Super Cluster Touch Rugby
Wednesday 4 November
Year 3-4 Swimming at AUT Millennium
Thursday 5 November
School photos for room 10 and sports teams
Friday 6 November
Junior Athletics Day 9 am
Year 3-4 Swimming at AUT Millennium
Monday 9 – Friday 13 November
Year 0-1 Swimming at Hilton Brown
Road safety week
At a glance
- Welcome to our new students and their families
- Safety at the Gate..some ways you can help.
- Student Placements for 2021 Reminder
- 3.15 bell.
- Board of Trustees Election – Nominations are open
- Murrays Bay Intermediate School Band Programme
- Music News – Senior Choir, Marimba Group and Ukulele Club
- PTA News – Senior movie night, Second-hand uniform, PTA meeting, and an Eco & Wellness evening
- Community Notices
Kia ora tatou
Wasn’t it wonderful to have such great weather for the long weekend? I hope you got to enjoy time with those you love.
We have now finished the Life Education programme and the mobile classroom has left us. The specialist teacher was very complimentary about the culture of our school and how engaged our kids were in learning.
Everywhere you look in our school, people are enjoying the face to face teaching and learning. We continue to monitor our Level 1 plan and feel grateful that we are living in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Please note the suggestions below about safety at the school gate.
Congratulations to Mr Adam Groen who has won a teaching position in Taranaki next year where he and his partner have a house. Adam has made a significant contribution over the two years he has been here. We wish him all the best for this next chapter.
Have an excellent week.
Bruce Warren, Principal
Kia hikaka, kia maia, kia pono te ngakau.
Welcome to our new students and their families
Angela Chen, Zachary Sam, James Wong, Ava Corner-Eagle, Charlie Quincey, Hara Im, Youcheng Deng, Hayul Choi, Cole Marsh and Julian Zhu.
Safety at the Gate
We are a Travelwise school. This means we work with Auckland Transport and the Council to promote safety on the roads around our school and particularly pedestrian traffic before and after school. We have managed to initiate a number of improvements such as the crossing on Matipo Road, the driver feedback signs on Maxwelton Drive and Matipo Road, kerb extensions to assist safe crossing, the platform on Ramsgate, improved road markings and footpaths. Walking School Buses are also an important part of our efforts. The more children we can have walking the better. We aim to reduce congestion and improve safety.
An ongoing problem is the double parking in Galaxy Drive each school day at 3 pm. We have two staff on duty each day to keep the traffic moving but the situation is still of concern especially in wet weather when we can have 60-70 cars queued.
What can you do to help?
- Have your child walk home with a Walking School Bus or with other children who live nearby.
- Arrange with your child to walk to a waiting place such as the area at the top left of Galaxy Drive, the Mayfair Crescent walkway, somewhere down Matipo Road. Note: This should be a place that does not require your child to cross the road. (unless it is the patrolled crossing)
- Use the school crossing yourself with your kids..(it sends the wrong messages when parents ignore the crossing and cross elsewhere)
- Park a little further away and walk in to meet your children
and if you have to drive to pick-up
- keep our neighbours’ driveways clear,
- be prompt and remind your children to get to the gate quickly and look out for you,
- keep the flow going, move up to the covered gate
- never park on the wrong side of the road (on the broken yellow lines) and beckon your child across.
- if a grandparent does the pick-up explain that the driver does not leave the car in the pick-up zone.
Thank you to all of you who choose safety over convenience every time. Your efforts are appreciated.
Student Placements for 2021 Reminder
We are about to begin the rigorous process of planning placement for each student into a 2021 class. We are keen to hear from you if you have information that you would like us to take into consideration. About 20% of parents chose to do this last year with the rest leaving it to teachers. Please, if you do want input, note that we ask you to:
- Write to us (please DON’T TALK TO STAFF ABOUT THIS as it is impossible for us to capture all the conversations. We need it on paper so that it can be considered once and at the right time);
- Use bullet points (it makes it easier so we consider each point you want us to);
- Return to school in a sealed envelope delivered to the school office and marked “Student Placement 2021”;
- Meet the deadline Friday 6 November;
- Understand that sharing your thoughts is optional;
- Understand that your information is considered as one part of a bigger picture; and
- Understand that we are unable to accept requests for specific teachers.
After several drafts, it is checked by all team leaders before final sign off by the senior leaders’ team. This usually takes until the end of term when we advise parents of the 2021 classes and children meet with their new classmates.
After school. 3.15 Bell.
Thank you to everyone who leaves the grounds by 3.30pm.
As it states on our school gates: “You are welcome to stay and supervise your children on the fields and playgrounds until 3.30pm. Please leave at this time to respect the need for our teachers to have optimal conditions for preparation and meetings. You are always welcome to return in weekends and summer evenings! “
The 3.15 bell is a signal to all children (unless at Skids or with a parent) that they should have left the grounds and be on the way home. It can also be a signal to parents here with children that it is almost time to leave. We don’t ring a 3.30 bell.
Mairangi Bay School – School Board of Trustees Election
Nominations are open for the election of two parent representatives to the board of trustees.
The nomination forms and documents have been emailed. If you haven’t received it or need more nomination forms, please contact the returning officer: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more about becoming a Trustee, please visit NZSTA website.
Year 6 students enrolled at MBIS
Murrays Bay Intermediate
For all PTA related enquiries please email email@example.com
Notices are put in this section as a service to our community. The school does not necessarily endorse these community advertisements and you are advised to check for yourself, the reliability of providers, events, camps, and courses.
Auckland Council organises free play and recreation events in local parks and would like to ask parents for feedback about what kind of events your family enjoys. Please follow this link to fill in a short survey, which you can translate online into Chinese or Korean if you prefer. Thank you very much from Auckland Council’s Active Recreation team!
Please let me know if you need any further information, and thank you very much for your help!
Ngā mihi nui
Jacquelyn Collins I Activation Advisor – Young People
Mob.: 021 510 672
Please note: I work on Monday – Thursday.
Auckland Council – Te Kaunihera o Tāmaki Makaurau
Bledisloe House, 24 Wellesley Street, Auckland
Visit our website: www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz
Ezlunch/Pita Pit – Win 1 Year of Free Kids Meals + A Pita Pit Class Party with ezlunch school lunch orders
Ezlunch have teamed up with Pita Pit to celebrate the launch of their new kids’ meals in-store nationwide with TWO fantastic offers…
Every Pita Pit ezlunch order delivered to school Monday 2nd – Friday 20th November inclusive will…
• Go in the draw to WIN a Class Party for you and your classmates! Pita Pit will provide kids meal catering and some awesome kids packs for your whole class to enjoy. (All ezlunch Pita Pit orders will be in the draw to win)
• Go in the draw to WIN a free Pita Pit Kids meal every week for one year, at your local Pita Pit store.
If the lucky winner of the Class Party is from your school, I’ll be in touch to get a date and we will co-ordinate this with Pita Pit.
Any questions please call the helpdesk on 09 869 5200 (0508 454 636) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.