Date:  3 July  2020  Alert Level 1  

Critical Need to know and action

• The next iteration of our school values: If you would like to contribute at the 21 July (2nd day of term)  3.30pm session (straight after short Hero/take the roll session) let me know ASAP. Jo Robson is facilitating.(Bruce)
  • Further to the suggestion made that the Kōrero tell us a bit more about each other, I ask you to contribute to this document, staff blurbs so that we can pop one person into each edition of the Kōrero. Email your short blurb to Holly and she will add it to the blurbs already there of our wonderful team.. (Bruce)
  • The joinery for the court side of Rooms 1-4 will be replaced in the holiday break. Teachers know to move furniture back from the windows. This is the only work to be done at this stage. (Bruce)
  • Paul will be on annual leave on 6, 10,13 & 17 July. Always complete the alarm log at the keypad whenever you enter and leave, if you choose to come in during the break. Lock and activate any areas you have been in when you leave. (Bruce)

Heads Up

• Junior Team Leadership for Terms 3-4 Jan will lead Year 2, Bec will lead Year 1 and Rebekah take on the assistant  leader role and preschool liaison.(Bruce) 
  • Something to think about: I believe it is essential for us to be showing that we are fiercely inclusive and that we embrace diversity. The Covid-19 experience has seen some people in society highlight ethnic differences. Trump’s reference to the “China virus” is deplorable.. I think at MAIRANGI BAY SCHOOL we can do more. People who feel judged because of the colour of their skin do not always speak up. In some NZ schools Chinese kids are getting a really hard time. Will that happen here? How do we get on the front foot? Tell me what you think after the holiday break, please.  (Bruce)
  • A Kiwi primary school teacher has proven it’s possible to tackle the topic of racism with kids as young as 6. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12338543.
  • NZCER has released a survey showing how primary schools in New Zealand are doing. There is a lot of interesting reading here but of concern is the number of teachers who feel unsafe because of extreme student behaviour. NZPF, APPA and NZEI continue to advocate for more support in schools to cope.  Please let a senior leader know if you ever feel unsafe. (Bruce) 
  • Communication with Rangitoto College Principal:  Tēnā koe Patrick. It was wonderful to have a strong Rangitoto College presence yesterday at our farewell for Jeanette Smail, DP for 16 years here and 50 years in teaching. We are grateful that you allowed Tony, Heke and your students to make this a priority. It was really pleasing to see our ex-students reconnecting with their old school. The powhiri was made more powerful with the senior students standing among our kids. It was both powerful and moving.Please pass on my sincere thanks.  Kia ora Bruce,  I am glad that the farewell for Jeanette went well, she has been an excellent educator and we are lucky to have had her in our community. I am sorry that I was unable to make it but was pleased that the Rangitoto students had a chance to say goodbye. I hope you and the Mairangi Bay staff have a relaxed and well deserved break. Ngā manaakitanga, Patrick

Our team

In 2018 I joined the wonderful team at Mairangi Bay School as the School Librarian. I have always had a love of reading and enjoy sharing this passion with the children. My background is in media research and had the role as a strategy and media analyst for one of New Zealand’s leading media publishing companies. My husband and I have two daughters both at Mairangi Bay School. When I am not busy being mum, I enjoy spending time with friends and family. I have a strong interest in dance and any opportunity I get to help choreograph an item, my dancing shoes are always at the ready.  Louise Hopkins