Date:  12  June  2020  Alert Level 1 

Critical Need to know and action

• We have an ongoing problem with junior children throwing bark and dirt over the neighbour’s fence, near the mud kitchen. Duty teachers please make this your priority.(BW)
  • Teachers: Just a reminder the bookings for SLC’s open on Monday, please book out any breaks you need or email me and I can book out for you. (JW)
  • All Leaders meeting next week is Tuesday at 8am. Agenda sent.(BW)
  • Our PTA is keen to get up and running again. Items already on the calendar with no set dates as yet
    • Disco for juniors  potentially – could do last day of term 3rd July ?
    • Movie night for seniors Early Term 3? Calendar Art – needs teacher participation. Happy to have this back? Obstacle course for Sat 7 November..
    • If you have any ideas or thoughts ..see Claire G or Bruce.

Heads Up

• Hone Heke (R’toto College)’s resources for teaching Māori language and culture. Link for Kāhui ako website.  (BW) https://sites.google.com/view/te-kiko-o-rangitoto/home   (BW) 
  • MBIS School Leaders 2020: Both student leader boys for this 1000+ student school are our ex students. Congratulations to Sam Davies and Max Mitchell. (BW)
  • Staff-room housekeeping The office oversees the general tidiness of the staff room but cleaning of the used dishes/cups is individual responsibility. Please rinse clean before placing them into the dishwasher. If the machine is running then please leave them on the kitchen bench in a tidy manner. All hands on deck will make this semi-public area so much nicer for everyone to enjoy. (Office Team)
  • Programming on Home Learning | Papa Kāinga TV will end on 12 June. Programmes for younger learners, including Suzy Cato’s junior maths and science segments, will be broadcast on TVNZ 2 at 8.15am to 9am weekdays, and hour delayed on TVNZ 2 +1 (Freeview channel 7 and Sky channel 502). Live streaming and on demand viewing will also be available on TVNZ OnDemand. There is now an extensive bank of resources that teachers  and whānau can access for use with their learners at school or at home. Lesson plans and other resources are available from the Learning From Home website (BW)
  • Ruma Matihiko – this room is available for you to use – there are now 6 iPads available, together with 8 chromebooks, a class set of Edison robots and 6 sphero robots. There are tech ninjas who can assist if required – see the timetable on MaiPage for who and when they are available. (PS)

Our team

• It was suggested in the feedback for my appraisal that we provide a bit of background info to help us all get to know one another. This is a challenge with over 50 people on the staff. I propose to add a few lines from people who are willing to contribute and will get the ball rolling myself.
  • I have been at our school for longer than most and much longer than any other school I have worked in. I love this place. My job here is to help create an environment where learners and leaders thrive..and I work with fabulous people! Karen, who is the music specialist at Browns Bay School, took me on as a life partner back in 1982 and we have Tom, Simon and his wife Emma (who also teaches at BBS) and Emily. Away from this place I chase my passions  viz..family experiences, blokarting, quartet singing and technologies..my latest interest, electric cars. – Bruce 

Kia whakapono, kia āio, kia ngāwari, he noho kāinga. Have faith, be calm, be kind, stay at home

Check the week ahead. Upcoming events on MaiPage (Staff Ready Ref Page)  It links to the school calendar.